Those job seekers who are trying to land IT jobs are having a hard time. The competition is overwhelming, the requirements are demanding, and the abundance of IT job openings on the market doesn't make up for these facts. To add to that, the companies looking to fill the IT openings are very demanding. This means that writing a resume in the field of Information Technology requires a great deal of technical skills as well as an understanding of what hiring authorities expect from job candidates. It goes without saying that an effective IT resume must clearly outline one’s technical proficiency and technical work. However, it is more than just that. Because more and more people try to enter this particular industry, competition is constantly growing. It means that to get an interview your IT resume needs to be impeccable.
How to Draft a Stellar IT Resume?
Just like with any other industry, to create a powerful IT resume you need to know the prospective employers and what they want/need. We have asked a couple of the companies that work in this industry about resumes they are getting from candidates and what they value the most when scanning through them. Here are some of the findings:
- Having a resume that can be scanned in a matter of 10 seconds to get a big picture of the candidate can significantly increase one’s chances of being considered for the interview call.
- Hiring authorities prefer candidates to add a summary section at the beginning of a resume that will contain the best highlights of their technical work and skills. So forget about an objective statement.
- A resume must list specific technical skills and how they were used by the candidate. It is not enough to provide technologies you are proficient at but also how you actually used them throughout your experience.
- It seems that reverse-chronological work history is a much better choice than a functional format. Besides, IT professionals prefer candidates who include not only provide the company names, lists of accomplishments, locations, and dates but also types of companies they worked for.
- Although hands-on experience is vital, providing your educational credentials is still important.
- Additional certifications, trainings, seminars, and conferences can play a big role in evaluating a candidate.
Most of the IT resumes are longer than one or even two pages. This isn’t uncommon and it is not necessarily a bad thing. The reason is that job seekers need extra space to list not only jobs but also technical skills. But like we said above, it is not enough to simply have a list of technical proficiencies; one needs to demonstrate how they were applied in the course of one’s career.
IT Project Manager Resume Example
IT Project Manager Resume Example (Text Version)
James Owen | 4429 Ray Court, Wilmington, NC 28412 • 910-617-1288 • firstname.lastname@example.org • LinkedIn.com/in/jmitmng
Senior Technology & IT Security Manager | Success technical career with 12-year track record of innovation, progressive technologies, and project management.
Certified information security and sophisticated software engineering professional with a solid history of leading-edge information security systems, network design, and systems engineering. Broad knowledge and success in planning security architecture, policy and standard development, and training for Fortune 500 companies. Skilled in front-line security management and regulation compliance, to include firewalls, encryption, testing, and applications. Proactive problem-solver able to direct multiple tasks and master innovative software and tools.
- Full Life Cycle Project Management
- Information Security Systems
- IT Storage Solutions
- Network Design and Analysis
- Process Improvement Tools
- Backup and Recovery Strategies
- Procedure and Standards Development
- User Training and Support
Senior Information Security Consultant | Accelerated IT Solutions, Inc., Wilmington, NC | 10/2015 – Present
- Managed project and successfully designed and deployed Innovex Control Compliance System (CSS) to audit MS SQL, Unix, and Oracle servers for PCI, HIPAA, and corporate policy compliance.
- Consulted on information security programs’ implementation and ensured compliance with ISO 17799/275007, DISTCAP, HIPAA, and state regulations at over 60 locations in the US and Canada.
- Deployed SDX PKI solution with content management and data loss prevention servers and software across the enterprise for privacy compliance.
- Managed applications and systems; coordinated vulnerability testing and conducted in-depth analysis (MS SQL, Oracle, DB3, LDAP) for SAS80 and other audit compliance.
- Planned and set up network security penetration testing and vulnerability analysis using COPS, Nessus, ISS Scanner, SAINT, Tripwire, SUS, and nmap.
Project Manager/Senior Security Consultant | Pro IT Network, Wilmington, NC | 1/2010 – 10/2015
- Developed and implemented information security programs with over $2.5M budget.
- Managed TRS International Services Center, administering firewall, anti-virus, and other security services for over 11,000 sites globally.
- Implemented information security architecture, resulting in a 39% ROI and reducing application development time by 29%.
- Developed and presented information security architecture training for Fortune 500 companies (McKesson, Freddie Mac, Centene, HAS Holdings, and Plains GP Holdings).
- Directed a team of security consultants to develop and deploy information security systems (application development and integration of firewalls).
Systems Engineer | SoftDevPro, Inc., Wilmington, NC | 2/2006 – 1/2010
- Directed all aspects of technical support for SEI Routers, which ensured seamless SCSI and SSA device connectivity to a storage area network (SAN).
- Coordinated all aspects of development and implementation of SEI Router program with Dell that provided SAN connectivity for Dell i4524 SCSI-based servers.
- Developed and implemented strategies to resolve qualification, integration, testing issues onsite utilizing IRSI and ProS Channel analyzer.
- Initiated systems security audit; evaluated audit results and developed process improvement tools to improve systems’ security.
Systems Engineer | Grand Soft Solutions, Inc., Wilmington, NC | 2/2003 – 2/2006
Information Security Architect | Wilmington Top Software, Wilmington, NC | 10/2000 – 2/2003
Platforms: UNIX, Solaris, Windows 10, Mac OS
Hardware: IBM, Sun and HP Servers, SCSI devices, Fibre Channel, JBOD storage, SAN switches, HP Surestore XP512 and XP48 Disk Array, HP Surestore Virtual 7100 Disk Array, ATA and SCSI hard drives and DLT tape drives, DLT tape library, Qlogic and Inrange SAN Switches
MS, Industrial Technology, Concentration in Electronics (2000) | State University, Wilmington, NC
BS, Industrial Technology, Concentration in Electronics (1998) | State University, Wilmington, NC
Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
CompTIA Security +
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
Certified Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)